ALBANY High School Guidance Center
Welcome to the Albany High School Guidance Website! We are sincerely invested in helping all students reach their academic, social and emotional potential. This website is designed to provide current and up to date information on programming and services provided by the guidance department.
ATTENTION AHS GRADUATES!
Not sure what’s next?
As students graduate and move on to the next phase of life and education, there are many moments to celebrate.
Given all that is occurring, however, it is often challenging to keep up with the necessary details to ensure that the transition to college goes smoothly. We would like to offer support and advice as this journey begins
Counselors are in their offices until July 14 and return on August 18. We are happy to answer questions or provide assistance during those times. The Guidance Office is open throughout the summer, so if you find that you need a transcript or even health records, our clerical staff will be able to provide them.
TOP 4 SUMMER TASK LIST...
• Open all mail from your college immediately. Check email and/or college portals frequently. Respond to inquiries in a timely manner and adhere to deadlines. If you are unclear about something, call the college right away.
• Be sure that all required financial documentation is completed as soon as possible. Thoroughly examine award letters and determine the amount you as a family are expected to pay. Please contact the Financial Aid Office of the college if you need help with the forms, if you find the amount is too great or if you need to create a payment plan. The college staff are experts in this field and are very willing to help.
• Schedule orientation and placement tests (if required). If planning to live on campus, submit the housing form in advance of the deadline. Make sure to send in health forms and proof of immunization.
• If plans change, and it is decided that the student is going to a different college, be certain to send a final transcript from our office and update your FAFSA and TAP applications.
We wish everyone an enjoyable summer and best of luck in the future.
Congratulations class of 2015!
Regents exams will be given Tuesday, August 12th and Wednesday, August 13th. Click here for the August Regents exam schedule.
Regents Review will begin July 20th through August 11th from 12:30 to 2:30 at AHS. All students who have signed up for exams will receive a schedule in the mail. Good luck on your exams!
Top college tips for juniors
On Tuesday, March 24th, Guidance Counselors met with their junior class to talk about the college application process, admission deadlines, GPA & rank and financial aid. During the months of April and May, students will meet individually with Counselors to develop a game plan for college research. Counselors will also provide students with a list of spring and summer things to do to prepare for fall applications!
• SAT/ACT Test Dates & Fees
• Junior Naviance Activity Handout
• Local Spring College Open Houses
Are you a junior?
Are you gearing up to take the
SAT or ACT in May or June?
If so, click here to learn more about preparation for the SAT.
Click here to learn more about the ACT.
10th Annual Fafsa help Series a success!
This is our 10th year of providing this amazing service to our families and it was quite a successful year! We assisted exactly 90 families complete their FAFSA and TAP applications. We also had 9 families complete their taxes. The FAFSA Help Nights are a partnership between the AHS Guidance Office and HESC.
I have been attending this FAFSA initiative for the last 5 years. Every year, it continues to be helpful. My children have already graduated from Albany High School and each year I'm welcomed back. Thank you!
SHOW ME THE MONEY!
Seniors! Be sure to take advantage of the many scholarship opportunities. All scholarships are posted in Naviance. For paper applications, visit the guidance office. Please remember that many scholarships require a transcript and letter of recommendation. Notify your counselor at least a week before your applications are due so they have enough time to process your school documents. Click here for the latest scholarship bulletin.
To graduate from Albany High School, students must fulfill the requirements for a New York State (NYS) Regents diploma. Click here for the graduation requirements chart.
Clic aquí para obtener información acerca de la Universidad.
Welcome to the Latest College News! This brief newsletter is brought to you by the Guidance Department and is meant to provide you with up-to-the-minute developments about majors, concentrations, campus projects and other College and University updates. Click here to access the latest edition.
FREE SAT Prep for AHS Students
We are pleased to announce that students studying to take the SAT exam now have access to a free online prep program through Naviance. Log in to Naviance or see your School Counselor for more information.
Nearly 100 area Colleges and Universities participated in the AHS Fall College fairs sponsored by the Guidance Department during the month of October.
More than 500 students participated!
Shhhh...Want to know the secret to SUCCESS in the 9th grade?
CLICK HERE to learn more about what you need to graduate!
College Admissions Counselors
share advice about college applications
and more! Click here for expert advice.
Ready to Learn MORE about College?!
Let's begin with your college vocabulary. Learn the basic college terminology and then quiz yourself to see how much you remember!